Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Las Vegas (the other one)

I just woke up at 5.30am with the best intentions of going for a run. Three was heavy snow coming down so I took some shots out my window instead.. It is very dramatic scenery. There must be a foot of snow out there. I don't have a warm enough jacket or boots for these conditions. My heater wasn't working when I came in last night. Now it is blasting the room so I have to keep the window open with the snow blowing past.
The weather is so changeable. Yesterday was blue skies, today grey and snowy. I don't know when Spring is planning to make an appearance.

Alan and Elaine drove me up to Las Vegas, New Mexico for an assignment where we had to approach complete strangers and photograph them using flash. It was an hour's North West drive away through some dry, snowy wide open spaces. I chose to go into the The Hair Studio, owned by Grace Esquibel. I stayed in there for 2 hours documenting her work. She was quite happy to be photographed. The series turned out well and I think it tells the story of Grace and her clients. When I gave her a $20- tip to thank her she was over the moon. I did overhear that she only charged her previous client $10- so I thought she had earned that much as I had been in there so long. There were so many parts of the town of Las Vegas I didn't get to see so I might get a chance to visit there again when I have a car. While we drove through town, I noticed the architecture was reminiscent of New England with colourful townhouses.

On the way out to Las Vegas, we had to stop so Alan could scrape the snow off the windscreen that had started slipping down. No sooner had we driven off than a huge mound of snow slid off the roof onto the windscreen and blinded us completely. Luckily we were on a quiet back road and had not yet turned onto the freeway.
In class today, we looked at workflow and planning for each photo assignment. It was amazing the degree of detailed planning that Raoul puts into each shoot. I really enjoy documentary styles portraits that tell a story.
For dinner tonght I went to Blue Corn Cafe by myself. I had delicious chicken fajitas which came with grilled onions and bell peppers, warm flour tortillas, flame roasted salsa, sour cream, guacomole and cheese- Oooh yeah, that was Willis was talking about. Add to that the glass of Glory Days Zinfandel, 2008 Lodi from California and I was in heaven. Flavours of black cherries and honey with a rounded finished, not sweet at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment