Saturday, April 3, 2010

Thursday 1 April, 2010
April Fool's Day. As I type my blog from yesterday, the TV is on in the background. I am feaked out by something I just saw on Lifestyle TV. There was a woman bresatfeeding her baby and I was thinking oh, that's good that they are promoting “breast is best” for babies and mothers. Then, a plastic surgeon came on to promote the before and after possibilities for women whose breasts have been distorted by breastfeeding. I was so disappointed that big perky breasts are promoted as being the ideal way to be and that breastfeedingg is ultimately going to damage your appeal to the opposite sex. I say slighty saggy and surgery-free is best.

I DROVE IN THE USA.................
Laurie kindly lent me her car today and gave me excellent instructions to get to Red Rock Canyon. It was easier than I thought to drive on the wrong side (sorry, I mean other side) of the road. I have not driven in the USA for 12 years so I was on high alert. The roads here seem to go on forever and there are so many houses in rows. I also can't believe how many shopping centres there are everywhere. Tony and Laurie were telling me about the housing and building developments that have been completed and are unoccupied or left unfinished. So sad to think about the irony of this considering the state of homelessness in Las Vegas.

Not surprisingly, there is also blatant wealth in Vegas. Gated communities and private clubs are abundant. I drove past lots of Golf Courses out here in the Mojave dessert- I can't imagine how much water it takes to get them looking so beautiful and green. I guess the beauty is tainted and a ticking time bomb as one day the water will be gone.

I photographed all day today around the 13 mile Red Canyon loop. You just have to pay the $5- entry fee and then there are stops along the way to hike and explore. The landscape was stunning- lotsof different types of rocky mountains and big open spaces. I was really lucky to get an unbelievable sky with blue and clouds. Clouds aren't common here apparently so it was great that the photos ended up looking really dramatic.

On the way back to Laurie and Tony's, I stopped at the post shop to send my 3rd box of stuff back home. I have been doing a bit of shopping....
We had Chinese take out and red wine for dinner. Then we had a great laugh watching Badder Santa. It was good to chill and watch something funny. It was the first time in a month that I have watched TV- scary I know.

Friday 2 April, 2010
I borrowed Laurie's car again and went to the sale at Kohl's. I bought 2 pairs of running shoes to keep me going and some new gym gear- God knows I need the gym after this month of glorified eating and drinking and not going to the gym....I got some other clothes, sport shoes and clothes for each of my girlies and some shirts for Geoff. Needless to say after this little shopping jaunt, I had to do another trip to the post shop. That's four boxes on the way to NZ. I did the math and even having spent $200- on postage, I have still saved a huge amount on all the things I have bought because things are so much cheaper here. While I was on this 2 hour plus trip to the store, I called Geoff to check on the girls' shoe sizes. I spoke to Amelie and she said “ Mummy, I miss you. Please jump through the phone so I can see you.” I said “ I can't jump through because my shopping bags of presents won't fit.” This sufficed as an excuse and I could hear her running around the house shouting to everyone else “Mummy has bags of presents for us!”. I can't wait for those cuddles.
Today is the day I fly home- wow. I miss my family so much. I am getting teary just thinking about seeing them at Wellington airport. I am sitting in Las Vegas airport and it is weird to feel the safest I have felt because I know everyone around me has gone through security too, except the girl on the billboard selling machine guns but she's special. Just like my flight from Oakland, this one is delayed by an hour. I hope I make it to my LAX connection to Auckland at 11.50pm. This flight from Vegas was due to leave at 6.35pm. We'll see.
I am having a margarita at the Meixcan restaurant in LAX and I just got asked for ID for the fourth time on this trip. As a result, I have cancelled my next botox, chemical peel, face lift and implant appointments. America is now my favourite place on Earth because the men at bars and liquor stores ask for ID. I don't even care if they ask everyone, I love it! Anyone would think I had been doing copious amounts of drinking on this trip. It doesn't take much to make a housewife smile like a teenager- I joked with the bar tender that he just wanted a good tip.

My luggage weighed 35kg and they did not charge me any extra. WOW. I thought 20kg was my limit. That seems fair to me as I paid so much to post 4 boxes of my sh%# home.

I have talked with lots of random people on this trip- restaurants, airports, bars, toilets, shops, . I guess because I am a lonely lady and I make an effort but also because my accent seems to intrigue people. It is weird that lot sof people think I am from England- others can't decide if Kiwi or Aussie. Anyway, sounding weird is a good way to start a conversation. I met a guy called Gavin from Brisbane. We were talking because his accent caught my ear. He sounded so Aussie and it is nice after so long to hear a voice from home.

I am on my flight from LA to Auckland and it is after midnight now. I lucked out and got three seats to myself which means I can get horizontal tonight and maybe get some sleep. No lude remarks please people. I love spreading out my stuff, my elbows, my feet, meal, books etc. Me no share seats with nobody!

The woman in front of me keeps trying to lower her seat to horizontal. I told her it would not go any lower but she still keeps trying. Maybe she used to travel business class in a former life and just does't understand that in economy we don't get horizontal on a regular basis. Unless you are one of the special people who gets three seats. I think I deserve it after being squashed between loud Americans who took up the whole arm rest on the way over to LA. I have eaten way too much and now need to enter food coma status. I am watching Crazy heart on my tiny screen. The sound is so bad that I can't really get into it. I have seen the scene which is filmed in Evangelos' Bar in Santa Fe- our regular drinking hole during class nights out. Might watch It's Complicated now because I've seen it already so I don't need to be able to hear every word to know what's going on. I think Crazy Heart deserves a better sound system to be understood.
I am getting more excited to see my little ones ASAP! I have completely spoilt them with gifts.

SUNDAY 4 April, 2010
I am back in Wellington and thrilled to be back with my loved ones. It was very emotional. Thanks for the bubbles lovely friends. See you all soon.
Thanks for reading.
Wellington Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment